Awkward. Something is wrong with this photo. Something is not right with the layout of the front page of this broadsheet. And it’s pretty obvious.
Above the headline Why you should go to the Philippines, is the issue’s top news - an Editor from General Santos City was killed. And to make things worse, a photo of a drug raid in a posh village is spread above.
Perhaps most of us are busy yesterday discussing and spreading the new slogan of the Department of Tourism that the news of another slain journalist has been overshadowed, if not, neglected into consciousness.
Christopher Guarin, an Editor of the daily tabloid Tatak was killed Thursday night by two unidentified man in a motorcycle.
Guarin was the 10th Journalist to be killed under the Aquino Administration and the 150th since the restoration of democracy in the 1986 People Power Revolution.
And we must never forget the horrible event that happened on the 23rd of November 2009 where 58 people were killed in Ampatuan, Maguindanao, 34 of whom were journalists.
I do not blame the Editors and lay-out artists for this awkward layout. The stories in the front page are the day’s top stories. They have to put it there.
But my point is, if we really are serious on marketing our country as a more fun country to visit, then we must live to it. How do we expect foreign tourists to visit our country, who promises more fun, if we cannot resolve, or if possible, prevent these kind of incidents? How do we expect our country to be more fun if our story tellers are killed and justice for them and their family are not served?
I don’t want to see the day where our country is seen not as a fun place to visit but a country with a funny reputation - in a negative way.
Let us make it’s more fun in the Philippines not just a mere Tourism campaign, but a reality. Stop shooting the story tellers. End impunity now. Serve justice to the victims and their family.
Viva Filipinas! Vaya con Dios! Padayon!
Read more here:
- Editor killed in General City (Victim gets out of the car to spare wife, child)
- General Santos City journalist killed for personal reasons, says police
- spellaid reblogged this from juanrepublic
- girlfriend-in-a-c0ma likes this
- blessuper likes this
- acelvanommen reblogged this from juanrepublic
- alex-express likes this
- ushumoradvice likes this
- jaysontejam reblogged this from midnightcrammer
- midnightcrammer reblogged this from juanrepublic
- iamhappykate reblogged this from reserese
- reindrops likes this
- kornbeef reblogged this from juanrepublic
- kornbeef likes this
- ronniewonnie likes this
- iamafool likes this
- kwentongkaliwete reblogged this from juanrepublic and added:
- thereislove08 likes this
- everydayswagging likes this
- becauseithinkso likes this
- lavernejade reblogged this from juanrepublic
- earlydawnprecedessunrise likes this
- bluebelle reblogged this from juanrepublic
- bomalabs likes this
- nightofknights reblogged this from winecask-grantaire
- secretsunset likes this
- bennyboyjandroo reblogged this from patrickrreyes
- bennyboyjandroo likes this
- krustykrew likes this
- whenfantasymeetsreality likes this
- michaellearnstorock likes this
- ejohnriddle likes this
- inlabs likes this
- jambadotjavier reblogged this from juanrepublic
- danicalifornia85 likes this
- mehehebevz reblogged this from juanrepublic
- mehehebevz likes this
- geloreyes likes this
- procrastinatorjuan likes this
- nathanielsanico18 reblogged this from juanrepublic
- nathanielsanico18 likes this
- unrenevee likes this
- error404pagenotfound reblogged this from juanrepublic
- juanish likes this
- reserese reblogged this from juanrepublic and added:
- icecreamandcoffee reblogged this from bungisngises
- gianology likes this
- statementofinkam likes this
- reserese likes this
- monsterceline likes this
- estanislaw likes this
- carmelamela likes this
This is a personal blog where rants, raves, and everything in between is written and posted.
About the Blogger: His name is Juan, a frustrated writer who hails from a sauna town at the foot of Mount Makiling. He spends his being an overworked and underpaid High School teacher and being a self-proclaimed superhero who is dreaming and trying to make a difference, one post at a time.
For correspondence, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also find me at these websites:
My Lakbayan grade is C!
How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!Created by Eugene Villar.
"Speak now or forever hold your peace.."